Pushing Limits: From West Point to Berkeley and Beyond. To be published by the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) and the American Mathematical Society (AMS), April 2017.
Benford Online Bibliography (www.benfordonline.net) - a free searchable online bibliographic database on Benford's Law (in collaboration with A. Berger).
2016-2017 Travel & Talks
- 2017 Joint Mathematics Meetings (MAA and AMS), Atlanta, Jan 4-8, 2017.
- MASS Colloquium, Dept. of Math., Penn State University, Sep 8, 2016.
- Dept. of Math. Colloquium, Penn State University, Sep 8, 2016.
- Dept. of Math. Sciences Seminar, USMA West Point, May 5, 2016.
- Cal Poly Research Scholars in Residence Lecture, San Luis Obispo, Feb 23, 2016.
- Game Theory Workshop Lecture, CIMAT, Feb 6, 2016.
- Cal Poly Women's Club presentation, San Luis Obispo, Jan 28, 2016.
- A Theory for Gender Differences in Variability (with S. Tabachnikov), math arXiv:1703.04184 [q-bio.PE] posted on March 12 (2017).
- What is ... Benford's Law? (with A. Berger), Notices of the AMS 64(2), pp. 132-134 (2017).
- Hubble's Law Implies Benford's Law for Distances to Galaxies (with R. Fox), Journal of Astrophysics and Astronomy 37(1), pp. 1-8 (2016).
- Benford's Law: A curious statistical phenomenon that keeps getting curiouser, Princeton University Press Blog,Oct 6 (2015).
- An Introduction to Benford's Law (with A. Berger), Princeton University Press, May (2015).
- Benford's Law, in The Princeton Companion to Applied Mathematics, ed. N. J. Higham, Princeton University Press, pp. 135-136 (2015).
- A Short Introduction to the Mathematical Theory of Benford's Law (with A. Berger), in Benford's Law - Theory and Applications, ed. S. J. Miller, Princeton University Press, pp. 23-55 (2015).
- Fundamental Problems in Metrology: Is there an objective need for an urgent redefinition of the kilogram and mole? (with V.V. Khruschov), Measurement Techniques, Vol. 56(7):747-752, October (2013). [PDF]
(For original Russian version, see [PDF].)
- The Kilogram Cabal, The Chronicle of Higher Education July 2 (2012). [CHE] For contact info about the kilogram redefinition, click here.
- Bayesian posteriors without Bayes' Theorem (with M. Dall' Aglio) (2012). [ARXIV-PDF]
- Gender Gaps in Science: The Creativity Factor (with E. Rogers), The Mathematical Intelligencer 34(2):19-26 (2012). [SPRINGER-PDF] [ARXIV-PDF]
- For Women to Think Mathematically, Colleges Should Think Creatively (with E. Rogers), The Chronicle of Higher Education 58 (33):A25 April 20 (2012). [PDF]
- From the current "kilogram problem" to a proposed definition (with A. Censullo and J. Miller), Chemistry International 33(5), September-October (2011). [PDF]
- A basic theory of Benford's Law (with A. Berger), Probability Surveys 8:1-126 (2011). [PDF]
- Unresolved concerns about the "new SI" (with J. Miller and A. Censullo), Accreditation and Quality Assurance 16(12):657-658 (2011). [SPRINGER-PDF]
- Criticisms of the proposed "New SI". Accreditation and Quality Assurance 16 (8-9):471-472 (2011). [PDF]
- How to combine independent data sets for the same quantity (with J. Miller), Chaos 21(3) (2011). [CHAOS-PDF] [ARXIV-PDF]
- A Stronger Conclusion to the Classical Ham Sandwich Theorem (with J.H. Elton), European Journal of Combinatorics 32:657-661 (2011). [PDF]
- Benford's Law Blunders, Letter to the Editor, The American Statistician 65(2):141, 2011. [PDF]
- Towards a Better Definition of the Kilogram (with J. Miller and A. Censullo), Metrologia 48:83-86 (2011). [PDF]
- Benford's Law Strikes Back: No Simple Explanation in Sight for Mathematical Gem (with A. Berger), The Mathematical Intelligencer 33(1):85-91 (2011). [PDF]
- Conflations of Probability Distributions, Transactions of the American Mathematical Society 363(6):3351-3372 June (2011). [PDF] [ARXIV-PDF]
- Finite-state Markov Chains obey Benford's Law (with B. Kaynar, A. Berger, and A. Ridder), SIAM J. Matrix. Anal. Appl. 32(3):665-684 (2011). [PDF]
- Georgia Tech Faculty Retirement Enrichment Experience, 2014.
- Benford's Law and Baseball by K. W. Regan posted July 29, 2012.
- Redefining the kilogram by Bob Grant, The Scientist, July 5, 2012.
- The creativity factor by Charles Day, online editor, Physics Today, Jan 11, 2012.
- Listed in 2011 Marquis Who's Who in America. (Subscription required.)