Lectures January 18th & 20th:
- 1-qubit, Pauli matrices, density matrices, Bloch sphere
- N-qubit representation and tensor product, tensor product of 1-qubit states
- Quantum gates: 1-qubit gates, the CNOT-gate, other gates.
Reading: Nielsen Chuang Chapter 4.1-4.4 pp 171-188
Homework 2 (graded) : Nielsen Chuang, Chapter 4.2&4.3 exercises 4.5, 4.7, 4.9, 4.13, 4.14, 4.18, 4.19, 4.21, 4.24
Due date : Thursday January 27th, 1:35pm
Lectures January 25th & 27th:
Lectures February 15th & 17th:
- Algorithms: phase estimation and performances, order finding. Factoring: elements of arithmetic
Reading: prime factor decomposition (pdf) (ps) problem, correction and appendix
Homework 6 (graded): Fast Fourier Transform (pdf) (ps)
Due date : Thursday February 24th, 1:35pm
Lectures February 22nd & 24th:
- Algorithms: factoring, arithmetic and quantum algorithm for prime number decomposition.
Reading: Nielsen Chuang Chapter 5 pp 216-242
Homework 7 (not graded): Nielsen Chuang, All exercises of Chapter 5.3
Due date : Thursday March 3rd, 1:35pm
Lectures March 1st & 3rd:
- Quantum operations: (i) Introduction: noise, measurement, dissipation, loss of information.
(ii) Axiomatic approach
Reading: Nielsen Chuang Chapter 8.1 & 8.2 pp 353-373
Homework 8 (graded): (i) Nielsen Chuang, Exercises 5.20, 5.21, 5.22, 5.23, and
(ii) continued fraction expansion (pdf) (ps) exercises 1 to 5
Due date : Thursday March 10th, 1:35pm
Lectures March 8th & 10th:
- Quantum operations: (iii) examples, (iii) applications: Master equation, wave packet reduction
Reading: Nielsen Chuang Chapter 8.3 & 8.4 pp 373-398
Progress report: due on March 8th, .pdf file by e-mail to the instructor.
Homework 9 (not graded): Nielsen Chuang, All exercises Chap 8.1 & 8.2 pp. 353-373.
Due date : Thursday March 17th, 1:35pm
Lectures March 15th & 17th:
- Physical Realization of Quantum Computers (the lectures will be delivered by a physicist)
Reading: Nielsen Chuang Chapter 7.5 & 7.6 pp 297-324
Homework 10 (graded): Nielsen Chuang, Exercises: 8.5, 8.6, 8.20, 8.22, 8.26, 8.29, 8.35 Problems: 8.1, 8.2,
Due date : Thursday March 24th, 1:35pm
March 22th & 24th: Spring break
Lectures March 29th & 31st:
- (i) definition of the von Neumann entropy, wave packet reduction, random evolutions
(ii) Distances, Fidelity
Reading: Nielsen Chuang Chapters 11.3 pp. 510-519 & 9 pp 399-424
Homework 11 (graded): Nielsen Chuang, Exercises: 9.8, 9.10, 9.12, 9.13, 9.15, 9.19, 9.21, 9.22,
Due date : Thursday April 7th, 1:35pm
Lectures April 5th & 7th:
- Quantum coding and error corrections: the Shor code, theory
Reading: Nielsen Chuang Chapters 10.1-10.3 pp. 425-445
Lectures April 12th & 14th:
- Quantum coding and error corrections: construction of codes, CSS codes
Reading: Nielsen Chuang Chapters 10.4-10.5 pp. 445-474
Lectures April 19th & 21st:
- Quantum coding and error corrections: fault-tolerant codes, topological codes
Reading: Nielsen Chuang Chapters 10.6 pp. 474- 499
Final report: due on March 21st, .pdf file by e-mail to the instructor.
Lectures April 26th & 28th:
- Entropy and Information
Reading: Nielsen Chuang Chapters 11 pp. 500-527
Final Exam: first week of May
- 3 hours, on all Chapters treated during the course.