Math 6122: Algebra II (Graduate level)
Spring 2016, Georgia Tech
Instructor: Josephine Yu (email@example.com)
Office: Skiles 250
You are encouraged to contact me and your classmates through Piazza. I will also be using Piazza to post announcements and resources.
Class: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:35 am - 10:55 am, in Skiles 254
Office hours: M 2-3, Th 1-2, and by appointment.
Syllabus: See Piazza.
Course web page: https://people.math.gatech.edu/~jyu67/teaching/2016Spring6122/
Schedule: Tentative Schedule. I will be updating this throughout the semester.
Piazza: Sign-up link
- Representation theory of finite groups (and a bit of GL_n(C)).
- Combinatorial commutative algebra (monomial ideals and their resolutions, toric ideals and triangulations).
The following books (if the library has them) will be put on Course Reserve at the library starting January 11. You can check them out for a few hours at a time from the circulation desk.
- Linear representations of finite groups, by J.-P. Serre Check library
- Representation theory : a first course, by Fulton and Harris (PDF) Check library
- Combinatorial Commutative Algebra, by Miller and Sturmfels (PDF) Library does not have a hard copy.
- Groebner Bases and Convex Polytopes, by Sturmfels.
- Abstract Algebra, by Dummit and Foote. Check library
- Algebra, by Michael Artin. Check library
- Algebra, by Serge Lang Check library
See Piazza, under Resources.
Final project reports
Check out the wonderful projects the students have done!