Grants and Service
External Grants and Honors
- "Science Agency: Georgia Intern-Fellowships for Teachers (GIFT)", Excellence in promoting STEM in Georgia, awarded to CEISMC and sponsored by the Technology Association of Georgia (TAG) and the TAG Education Collaborative, 9/12
- "Race to the Top/STEM Initiatives", Principal Investigator, co-PIs J. C. Thompson, D. Whiting,et. al., U. S. Dept. of Education (thru Ga Dept.of Ed), $7.5 million, 1/11 -1/15,
- Principal Investigator, DRK12, "Science Learning Integrating Design, Engineering and Robotics (SLIDER)" co-PIs, M. Usselman, J-C. Aguilar, and D. Llewellyn, National Science Foundation, 10/09 -9/14, NSF 0918618, $3,492,961.
- American Society for Engineering Education's (ASEE) New Engineering Educators (NEE) Division awarded First Place at ASEE national meeting for the article "Designing Effective Educational Initiatives for Grant Proposals" by D. Llewellyn, M. Usselman and R. Millman, 6/09.
- Principal Investigator and Project Director: GK12, "ALGEBRA CUBED", co-PIs, G.T. Lineberry, Xin Ma, Paul Prater, and Jeff Osborn, National Science Foundation, 3/06 -3/09, NSF 0538465, $1,829,662. (http://www.ms.uky.edu/algebracubed/)
- Principal Investigator: "Integrating the Assessment Principle into Math Content for Preservice Elementary Teachers," Xin Ma Co-PI, KY Educational Professional Standards Board, 1/05-7/06, $100,039
- Co-PI "University of Kentucky NOYCE Fellows Program: New Opportunities Yielding Classroom Excellence" Margaret J. Mohr (PI), Bruce L. Walcott and Jeffrey Osborn, National Science Foundation, 9/07-8/11, $748,625
- Co-PI: "Making Algebra Accessible," with Kimberly Ziedler (PI) et. al., KY Council on Postsecondary Education, 2/15/05-7/30/05, $299,806
- Partner: "Three Tiered Mentoring," Fayette County Public Schools, Kentucky Department of Education, 8/05-8/06, $249,356 (Natalee Feese, Fayette County Schools, PI)
- Principal Investigator; "Quality and Cost Containment Issues in a Curriculum," Irvine Foundation Project, 1996-97, $20,000
- Principal Investigator: "Service-Learning as a Degree Requirement," The Commission on National and Community Service, Higher Education Innovation Projects, 1993-95, $155,158 (with co-PI Peggy Hashemipour)
- Principal Investigator: "Service-Learning as a Degree Requirement," The Commission on National and Community Service, Higher Education Innovative Projects, 1992-93 $26,000
- Principal Investigator: "Conference on Differential Geometric Control Theory," NASA/Ames Research Center and AFOSR, 1/82-7/82, $19,000
- Executive of the Year, 1994, Professional Secretaries International, Palomar Chapter
- Recipient, 1992 Excel Awards, First Place, Scholarly Journals, Feature Article for "Artist's View of Points and Lines," Mathematics Teacher 84, No. 2 (February, 1991): 132-138 (with R. Speranza)
- Outstanding Performance Award, National Science Foundation, 6/86
Service to Professional Societies
- Service Award Committee, Association of Math Teacher Educators (AMTE), 2009-12.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Mathematics and Science, 2010 - 2012.
- Member, Math Advisory Board, Georgia Dept. of Education, 2010-12.
- Mathematics Association of America:
a. Panel of Visiting Lecturers, 1990-1995
b. Coordinating Council of Area of Human Resources, 1991-92
c. Ad hoc MAA Committee on Guidelines, 1990-92
d. Chair, MAA Committee on Consultants, 1987-92
e. Ford Prize Committee, 1983-86 (Chair, 1985-86)
f. Associate Editor of the American Mathematical Monthly, 1983-86
- American Council on Education, Presidents' Network on International Education, January 1999-December 2001
- American Council on Education, Commission on Leadership and Institutional Effectiveness, 1999-2001
- Member, Advisory Committee for Academic Affair Resource Center, AASCU, 9/94-6/95
- Joint Policy Board for Mathematics (JPBM), Committee on Preparation for College Teaching (through MAA), 1987-92
- American Mathematical Society: Member-at-large, Council of the AMS, 1983-86 (elected)