Math 6307 Ordinary differential Equations I. Fall 2017
Schedule: 1:30 - 2:45
Classroom: Skiles 257
Office: Skiles 102A
Office hours: 1:30 - 3 pm M & 4:05 - 4:40 pm T
Prerequisites: MATH 2552&4541, or permission of the instructor
classes is mandatory. Students are expected to read the materials
after the classes. It is suggested that you start to work on
problems right after they are assigned.
Main reference book:
Ordinary differential equations with
applications, Carmen Chicone, 2nd edition, Springer. (Homework will mainly
Materials: In this semester, we will develop the qualitative
theory for systems of ordinary differential equations. Subjects will are rough limit sets, stability,
linear systems, Floquet theory, attractors, invariant manifolds,
bifurcation theory, normal forms, periodic orbits. The topics are among
- General properties: existence, uniqueness, continuous dependence, stability, Lyapunov
functions, limit sets, Poincare-Bendixson theorem
- Linear Systems:
constant coefficient systems, periodic systems, nonhomogeneous systems,
Fredholm alternative, Hamiltonian systems, mappings
- Local theory near equilibria: Hartman-Grobman theorem, stable and unstable manifolds,
foliations, center manifolds, elementary bifurcations and the Hopf bifurcation
- Periodic orbits:
Poincare map, persistence, Hamiltonian systems.
- 1 take-home final exam 40%: `open-textbook' and `open-notes', must be entirely
- 4 homework, 15% each: homework will be assigned at the end of
each lecture and then put on this webpage in the below. You may discuss
the homework problems with other students in this class, but you should write down the solutions and complete the homework independently.
On each collecting day, the homework is due in the classroom at the
beginning of the lecture. The corresponding assignment includes all the
problems assigned in previous weeks, but after the last assignment.
Some selected problems from each assignment will be graded and the
score will be given based on both the graded problems and the
completion of the whole assignment. The exact homework collecting dates
9/7(Thu.), 9/28(Thu.), 10/19(Thu.), 11/9(Thu.)
- Homework Assignment #1 (due Thu. 9/7):
- Assigned on Tue. 8/22: Page 4., 1.6 (aacde); Page 5., 1.10
- Assigned on Thu. 8/24: Attachment
- Assigned on Tue. 8/31: Page 5., 1.8; Page 11., 1.13
- Homework Assignment #2 (due Thu. 9/28):
- Assigned on Tue. 9/5: Attachment
- Assigned on Thu. 9/7: None.
- Assigned on Thu. 9/14: Attachment.
- Assigned on Tue. 9/19: Page 15, 1.20; Page 16, 1.22, 1.25, 1.26; Page 93, 1.169, 1.170
- Assigned on Thu. 9/21: None.